My Etsy Shop

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spring is on the way

It continues to rain a lot here, but I have noticed that some of the small trees have recently burst into bloom. They're so beautiful. These are right down the street from me. The yellow flowers are oxalis, which is a horribly invasive weed from South Africa. I can't tell you how many tons of oxalis I have pulled from my yard over the years.

Last night I watched a DVD of a film called Helvetica. It's a documentary on the typeface Helvetica. I found it fascinating. The filmmakers travel to different cities around the world and show you many film clips of Helvetica being used in signage all around the city and then they interview a famous graphic designer. I was really thrilled to see Hermann Zapf (the Zapf font & dingbats designer), Michael Beirut of Pentagram and Stefan Sagmeister. I am still kicking myself because back in the 90s, Stefan Sagmeister called me for an illustration job and I said I couldn't take it because I was going out of town the next day. I didn't know who he was.

1 comment:

Linda Davick said...

Those yellow flowers all over my back yard--you mean I'm supposed to pull them? They're weeds?!! This is the best my back yard has looked in years.